Sunday, January 23, 2011

Importance of Effective Communication

“I am an introvert.” This was what I used to define myself when I was in secondary school. I was only able to communicate with my small clique of friends and was not keen to share my ideas or to participate in public speaking. I was really fat back then and I did not really understand the basics of communication and thus I had low self esteem and was not effective in my social life. Things began to change as my teachers started to give me more opportunities to speak up, especially during science projects, which was my favorite. Years went on and by the time I was in Junior College, I enjoyed public speaking in presentations and peer teaching. I dedicate the root of my confidence in public speaking and project management to the teachers who believed in me and gave me the opportunities and encouragement that pushed me on. Therefore, I fell in love with two of my pet subjects, namely biology and teaching, and I decided to embark teaching of biological sciences as my career.

Some people may call it ‘chip of the old brick’ and I prefer to refer it as passing on the DNA of education and communication to the next generation. As a teacher, I do not want just to educate students on biological concepts but also to inspire them to take up a more dynamic approach in learning through discussion and cooperation. Thus, I will not only have to learn the ways to communicate effective but also to teach students to do the same as well. It is part of my vision to have the future generation to discuss ideas effectively, enjoy the elegance of the flow of knowledge and the interactions of concepts and the interactions of different concepts.

I approach academic communication in three levels of informing, imparting and impacting. Informing consists of effective use of speech, visual aid and effective class management to ensure the students will understand the subject clearly. Imparting will largely involve painting a mental picture in the minds of the students in order to link concepts and provide the basis for ideas to interact dynamically in the mind. The most difficult but also the most meaningful part of education is impacting. I hope to impact the life of students in the way that they may not remember the topics that I have taught or the way of approach to discuss certain subject but the passion for active thinking and discussion would leave a print on their hearts for their lifetime. However, I am still a green horn in the educational field and I will need a systematic approach to effectively communicate with students and to accomplish these objectives. Therefore, getting to learn the skills of effective communication is important presently, especially when such courses are rare.

Being a teacher does not mean being free from office communication. During tea session with some educational veterans, I learnt that there were some teachers who entered the trade with an illusion of a career without dealing with office politics. These senior teachers shared that being able to communicate effectively with colleagues and superiors help to get ideas approved and set things going smoothly. It is only when one teacher can get maximum support from the office that he or she can execute teaching much more effectively in the classroom. During my intern teaching days, I have seen teachers with really good ideas getting denied just because they lack the optimum means of communication and gaining support within the office. Thus, effective communication within the office, which is the backstage, is as equally important as it is in the classroom, which is the stage.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Yu Tian,

    You have adopted a very structured way of framing your essay, which makes it very palatable and reader friendly. It is simple for readers to look through your entry and extract your ideas easily. I really appreciate the authenticity of your sharing about your past and look forward to working with you in the teaching field a few years down the road!

    You have brought up very valid points clearly and effectively. It's sobering to hear that people with perfectly good ideas can still have their ideas rejected because of lack of support! It is a great waste if good ideas are rejected because of lapses in communication. Therefore, I entirely agree with your point that communication serves a 'political' purpose even in the staff rooms in schools.

    It's heartwarming to see a kindred spirit in you. Let us use our time in NUS effectively to learn how to not just teach our students well, but to impact their lives,and be the teachers that we see ourselves to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I think its good that you mentioned academic communication, and I like how you approach it modularly. There is an engineer in you yet! It highlights some of the points that we discussed in class, it is important to know your audience and tailor how you want to communicate with them accordingly to make it as effective as possible.

    I see that you have put a lot of thought into your future career although I must say some of the things you have brought up surprises me. I am one of the people who thought teachers do not deal with office politics. Being a teacher is a little more complex then I ever thought it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how self-esteem issues can really affect communication skills. It is when other people start to believe in you that you also start to believe in yourself. Human beings are just so dependent one everyone else. It is nice to have read about your transition from a introvert to a teacher (who needs to be extroverted) who cares. I am sure this module will help you grow into a teacher who can communicate effectively with students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yu Tian! =) I really enjoyed reading your post as I felt that it explained quite clearly (hence fulfilling one of the 7Cs of good communication) why you want to acquire good communication skills. I also view myself as quite of an introvert hence I found your journey from an introvert to more of an extrovert to be quite encouraging, as I would like myself to grow into a more extroverted person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. However, though I understood the general meaning of your post, I did not understand everything which you wrote. In your first paragraph, you said that, "I dedicate the root of my confidence...” May I know, what do you mean by this? If you intended to say that the cause of your greater confidence was due to your teachers, may I suggest replacing that phrase with “I ascribe the cause of my confidence…” In my opinion, this would enhance the clarity of that sentence.

    In the second paragraph, the phrase ‘chip of the old brick’ was used. May I know what does this phrase mean? Did you mean to use the phrase “chip of the old block” instead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thirdly, you mentioned in the third paragraph that teachers with good ideas get denied. May I know what do you mean by the phrase “get denied”? If that phrase was intended to convey the meaning that the teacher’s ideas were not accepted, may I suggest that the phrase “get denied” gets replaced by another phrase that states that the teacher’s ideas were not accepted? In my opinion, this would enhance the clarity of your sentence’s meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, I do enjoy reading your interesting and insightful post of communication and how it impacts your teaching ambition. Please do keep up the good quality of your posts =).

    P.S the last 3 posts are supposed to be one post. I do not know why when I post one large post, my post is not saved. I have to break it up in order to get blogspot to save it ><

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha.. even blogspot likes to bully you jon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a thoroughly enjoyable and insightful post, Yu Tian. I especially like the way you discuss your comm skill needs vis-a-vis your goal of becoming a teacher. I also appreciate your "approach" to so-called "academic communication" as explained by the three levels. Is this something you have read or is it your own invention? In either case, that strikes me as very appropriate.

    While your post also flows well with concrete examples and obvious coherence, it is a bit long and there are a few minor language issues:


    a) Junior College >>> junior college (not a proper - capitalized - noun because it is not a proper name)/ compare junior college with Temasek Junior College

    b) I dedicate the root of >>> I can identify the root of / I attribute the source of

    c) to embark >>> to embark on

    d) to communicate effective >>> to communicate effectively

    e) 'chip off the old brick' >>> Is this the idiom in Singapore? I have only ever heard 'chip off the old block'.

    Still, thank you, Yu Tian, for a very fine post with many admirable qualities. I'm sure you will be a great addition to the teaching staff of an educational institution here in Singapore in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your struggle with communication and how you eventually overcame your lack of self-confidence. It is indeed inspiring to know how far you have developed your communication skills and of your quest to impact the next generation. You have shown humility and willingness to learn by opening yourself to speak publicly. I do have the same ambition as you; to help the students just as how my teacher has encouraged and helped me. This is only possible if we have the ability to communicate effectively with both the students as well as the teaching staff. Your analogy of the office being the backstage and the classroom being the stage is apt.

    I would like to point out some issues in your post. There are too many conjunctions such as “and” in your sentences, which makes them very long and difficult to follow. You could try to make the sentences more concise. One tip: To stress on an important point, start off with a new sentence instead of joining it to another sentence.

    Overall, you have fulfilled most of the requirements of the 7 Cs of writing with well structured and coherent paragraphs.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete