Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rights & Love in Education

I knew there is a phrase that Brad talked about in class that impacted me but I just could not remember it the whole day until now! I was doing my daily reflection & walla! that came back to me.

" Students should have the right to choose to fail"

It felt like the adding of the concept of zero to numbers (1 to 9). It's just so important. We are so used to a 'industrial processing' type of education & the concept of choice of not to take up the learning of subject just no longer make sense to us. Therefore, we can't force a student to learn something that he/she does not want.

As applied to us, we got to understand the reason of learning. Do we still remember the thrill of learning something new when we were little? Do we still feel excited about learning? The love for learning became 'materialistic' as we grew older. Perhaps it's meritocracy (stated by Issac today). Thus, the job of the education in the future would need to include awakening the love of learning.


Students must have the experience of 'true love' with learning so they would be committed to their love of learning so as not to give up despite failing in a current model of testing that is yet to be perfect.

If your future spouse does not earn as much as others or were to be not as brilliant, will you still love him/her?



Since some of us may be teachers, some of us may have kids in future. Some of us were still half-way through undergrad, it's good to ponder a bit =)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you posted this blog post at 1.30am. By the way, you spelt my name wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA that's really true yu tian! I'm always reminded by people around me that its important to do something that I like so I wouldn't regret what I do when I look back. I guess that applies to what I chose to learn now too. I don't want to be stuck in a course or model of study that everyone deems is good but I can never seem to place myself in: that's the reason I didn't choose to study overseas.

    And I think when you naturally 'love' the subject you are doing, its easier for you to do better in it. It applies for me at least=). But oh well, the education system is such that what we study in secondary school is a fixed set of subjects and I guess in the past this would have worked since students tend not to know what they want to do exactly. But as the society and its technology improves, many kids are maturing far faster than we think or give them credit for, so I guess there should be some changes to the education system to accommodate this: stuff like Direct School Admission (DSA) maybe.

    Thanks for summing up thursday's lesson! Was a great read recapping all that! =))

    ReplyDelete